Adventure vs. Traditional

This 1830s-1860s Antique Sheraton Solid Cherry Dresser came to me 2 months ago. The reason that is remarkable is because it just sold yesterday. I never have items for 2 months - I price items well and they sell quickly.


A lovely family who were from back east bought it - and really appreciated the history of the old dresser...the irregular handmade dovetails, the hand-forged nails, the hand-planed marks and chisel marks that can seen on the back and some peg joinery.

There is even a handwritten sticker in the drawer that says it's a Sheraton Dresser that was bought in 1956 for $145 which in 2017 dollars is the equivalent of $1306.26 - it was purchased from a woman in Pennsylvania. 

I have noticed there is something about really old antiques that just don't "sing" to us natives of the West. I had a 1750's slant desk one time and it took 4 months to sell. Items from the last 100 years sell well, but the really old - museum type stuff just doesn't get a lot of local attention.

I think of "Out West" people in a general way as friendly, easy-going and adventurous. I think stereo-typically of the East Coast as very polite, orderly and traditional. So it makes sense that East Coast transplants appreciated this almost 2 hundred year old dresser. It was a rare find.

Yet, I was sorry to see that it took East Coast transplants to appreciate it and the natives weren't interested.

I don't have anything to add to that. It was just something that struck me. Not everything I write has an interesting ending...

See you soon,
Marla